Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mamidikaya Pappu


Even though green mangoes are found throughout the year in Chicago, the best ones are only during spring and early summer. I remember when we were kids, my sister and me used to eat raw mangoes with some salt and karam podi. Yummm….My mouth waters when I write this. My sister is a big time favorite of mamidikaya. At our school we had lots of mango trees. During the mango season, we used to climb those trees to pluck the tender magoes and get punished for our mischief. But guess what we never stopped climbing, plucking and the teachers punishing!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA....

Mamidikaya pappu is one of the many popular dishes made with mamidikaya. Chitrannam, pachadi, panakam are few of the many. Mamidikaya pappu is a very simple recipe I got from my friend B who is an amazing cook. It’s very tasty and it disappears from our table in blink of an eye.

Required Ingredients:

Raw Mango: 1 (peeled and cubed)
Toor dal: 1 cup
Ginger & Garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Turmeric: 1 pinch
Salt: According to taste
Green chilies: 5-6

Method:

•Wash and drain the toor dal.
•Take all the ingredients in a pressure cooker except and cook till you get 2-3 whistles.
•After the pressure is realized, add salt and then mash the dal with pappu gutthi.
•Put thiravatha with curry leaves and add it to the cooked dal.


Enjoy the delicious mamidikaya pappu with rice and curry on the side.

No comments: