Thursday, October 16, 2008

Barack Obama

About four years ago, my friends and I, were standing on Devon Street to watch the Independence Day parade. The street was very crowded and people were waiting to see Madhuri Dixit and Sanjay Dutt, the brand ambassadors for that year. Then there were a few people distributing flyers and an African American came along and shook hands with us and asked us to vote for him. I had no clue who that was. I asked BH and he said he was contesting for Illinois senator. His name was Barack Obama and the Indian community was giving support to him. BH says there are two kinds of questions. The first type is where you want to know the information and you are curious to know. The second type is where you ask a question just because you want to ask something. You don’t really care about the answer. I had asked the later type. I had just graduated and had landed in a job and was feeling like I had conquered the world, which was true for then. The next aim in life was just to have fun after all that hard work. So, I didn’t have any interest to know whom I shook hands with.

Today there is no one in the country who doesn’t know him. His hard work, planning, strategy and clear goals in life have brought him to where he is now and to the white house, to lead the country in a little bit. One can learn what can be achieved in a span of four years from his example. He came from nothing to becoming a possible president of one of the powerful nations of the country without any strong political background. I kind of followed his campaign and I am very impressed with his confident charismatic speeches. Lot of the money raised for his campaign was given by the common people. The denominations were as small as $100. This shows how much popularity he has gained with common man. I have become his fan neither because he is a democrat nor due to his policies and plans for the country but I like him because of his achievement as an individual. Now I am adding him to my list of people to look up to for inspiration.

No comments: