Monday, April 16, 2007

Chow-Chow-bath

PY and I have been very good friends ever since she moved in next door 15 years ago. Our parents are very good friends too, I can say more than us. My husband SP and PY’s husband BP are friends from college days. So when PY and BP moved to Chicago, SP and I were very excited.

PY and BP came over to spend a Friday night with us. We decided to make it a dinner and a movie event. The movie that we picked to watch was Salaam-E-Ishq. I decided to make chow-chow-bath, a Karnataka dish. Chow-Chow-bath is a combination of upma and kesari bath. Upma and kesari bath are very common dishes throughout the south, but eating them together is a unique idea of kannadigas. Here upma and kesari bath are served together side by side and one is supposed to eat a bite of upma and then a bite of kesari alternately. In spiritual sense the dish is reminding us that in the plate of life we have both sweet and hot tastes, ups and downs, joys and sorrows together. Basically life is a chow-chow-bath…ha.ha.haa!!!

PY and I had fun cooking chow-chow-bath and SP and BP had fun eating it. The movie was good but too long. Too many couples in the movie and it’s hard to keep track of all the couples. We had an awesome Friday evening or I can say the chow-chow-bath evening was great.

No comments: